University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) employees may obtain a PennCard for use at the Library and at the University’s recreation services.
- Bring a valid, government issued photo I.D. to the PennCard Center.
- Paid UPHS staff will receive a card valid for 5 years.
- Non-paid UPHS staff and guests will receive a card valid for 1 year.
- The cost of the card is $30 and can be paid by cash, check, or credit (Visa or Master Card).
Your PennCard is used to access buildings and spaces, for campus payments, and identification. It is University property and should receive the same care as your housekeys, your credit card, and government-issued ID card.
Important: You must produce a valid Passport or a valid photo ID issued by a U.S. state, territory, or the U.S. Federal Government to receive your first PennCard.
You must bring one of the following to the PennCard office:
- A valid passport.
- A valid photo ID issued by a U.S. state, territory, or the U.S. Federal Government (examples: driver's license, state-issued photo ID card, U.S. military ID)
No other documentation can be accepted other than those above. Unacceptable documents include, but are not limited to:
- Reproductions or photographs of documents;
- Expired or otherwise invalid documents;
- Identification cards issued outside of the United States and its territories;
- International driving licenses;
- Voting registration cards;
- Visas or other immigration documents;
- Photo identification from another educational institution.
It can take up to two (2) hours for building access privileges to become available again after receiving a new PennCard. This applies for most campus buildings.
If you previously had access to Perelman School of Medicine buildings and recently received a new or renewed PennCard, you must contact PSOM Security to have your access restored. Visit 109 Stellar-Chance Laboratories or call 215.898.0196. You must contact this office to renew your access each time you receive a new PennCard.