University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) employees may obtain a PennCard for use at the Library and at the University’s recreation services.
- Bring a valid, government issued photo I.D. to the PennCard Center.
- Paid UPHS staff will receive a card valid for 5 years.
- Non-paid UPHS staff and guests will receive a card valid for 1 year.
- The cost of the card is $30 and can be paid by cash, check, or credit (Visa or Master Card).
The PennCard is University property, and should receive the same care as a credit card or government-issued ID card.
Important: You must produce a valid Passport or a valid photo ID issued by a U.S. state, territory, or the U.S. Federal Government to receive your first PennCard.
You must bring one of the following to the PennCard office:
- A valid passport.
- A valid photo ID issued by a U.S. state, territory, or the U.S. Federal Government (examples: driver's license, state-issued photo ID card, U.S. military ID)
No other documentation can be accepted other than those above. Unacceptable documents include, but are not limited to:
- Reproductions or photographs of documents;
- Expired or otherwise invalid documents;
- Identification cards issued outside of the United States and its territories;
- International driving licenses;
- Voting registration cards;
- Visas or other immigration documents;
- Photo identification from another educational institution.
It can take up to two (2) hours for building access privileges to become available again after receiving a new PennCard. This applies for most campus buildings.
If you previously had access to Perelman School of Medicine buildings and recently received a new or renewed PennCard, you must contact PSOM Security to have your access restored. Visit 109 Stellar-Chance Laboratories or call 215.898.0196. You must contact this office to renew your access each time you receive a new PennCard.